PRAYAS PMTCT Program
PRAYAS has been implementing a ‘Prevention of Mother to Child Transmission of HIV’ (PMTCT) program in private and not for profit health care sector in Maharashtra since 2002. The program has got support from Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF).Maharashtra is 2nd largest state in India with the population of 120 million, it can be estimated we would have roughly 2.2 million pregnancies annually. HIV prevalence in pregnant women in the state is 0.28%., so there would be approximately 6160 pregnant women with HIV every year. To achieve the goal of elimination of mother to child transmission of HIV, the Maharashtra state AIDS control society (MSACS) has rapidly scaled up its PMTCT program, however contribution of the private health sector, which contributes to almost 40% of services, has been very low. There is a need to up-grade the HIV services rendered to these women seeking care in private sector. PRAYAS has been taking up its share in this.
In 2012 MSACS has entrusted the responsibility of scaling up of PMTCT services in private sector of six high prevalence districts from the state through Public Private Partnership (PPP).
Services offered under the program are Pre and Post test Counseling, CD4 counts, prophylactic ARV medicines to mother or linking her to ART if eligible, prophylactic ARV medicines to baby, infant and young child feeding counseling, growth and development monitoring, early infant HIV diagnosis by DNA PCR, facilitating family planning services and Linking woman and her entire family to care and support.
PRAYAS PMTCT Program coverage from 2002 till June 2015:
- Pregnant women counseled: 5,10,910
- Pregnant women tested for HIV: 4,69,845
- HIV infected Pregnant women served PMTCT services: 2171
- CD4 uptake in the program: 98%
- Maternal ARV (medicine) uptake: 87%
- Infant ARV uptake: 99%
- PRAYAS PMTCT program is one of the largest programs in Maharashtra.
- Currently operational in 451 health care facilities spread over 6 districts Pune, Sangli, Solapur, Satara, Kolhapur and Ahmednagar.
- In efforts to saturate PMTCT services in the private sector, we have covered all 74 blocks (out of 74 blocks) till June 2014 from these districts. PRAYAS’ contribution to the State is 15%.
- PRAYAS is facilitating MSACS for rolling out national guidelines in public and private sector in the six districts of the state.
- Developed IEC material for patients, health care providers.
- PRAYAS has prepared a film on ‘Conducting a Positive Delivery’.
- 15500 Health care providers trained.
- 1177 Sensitization workshops conducted.